Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rules and Other Nonsense

Since I have a pretty good idea of what my setting is going to look like I am deciding that I need to go ahead and start thinking about the rules I will be using. Like I said in previous posts, I am going to go with the New World of Darkness core book and maybe some others. I browsed through my collection a bit and nothing really stood out in my mind other than the armory so it looks like I may be doing a lot of work as far as fleshing the rules out.
I actually think this is going to be an advantage because I can work on both new rules and setting information at the same time.

The first question I am going to ask in regards to both rules and setting is how close to the current nWoD do I want to get? Do I want to use the clan/faction concept in my game? If so how would I best implement it. If I don't will that create more or less work. One thing is for certain, if I do go with the clan/faction set up I will do my best to make sure all clans and factions can play together. That is something that kind of bugs me about nWoD is that some groups just can't play nice with each other and if players decide to be from these two groups it pretty much shreds the game.

One advantage of the clan/faction system is it would give me the option of giving characters cool powers, the only problem is finding a rational for it. Sure, I have vampires, zombies, and other stuff, but that is in relation to the Ground Zero Event. When it comes to giving the "heroes" of the story powers it is literally opening a can of worms.

One direction I was thinking about going is that everyone in the world was eventually infected by the rejuvinext cells which means babies were born with them too. The one problem this creates is that it takes away some of the fear of being harmed by monsters since obviously the infection didn't affect them that way in the first place.

The second idea I am considering is that some kind of cure was rapidly developed and that it was not what everyone was hoping it would be. It didn't manage to make people immune to the infection, but it did create changes within their body. This would give me a great way to create a clan/faction system while still maintaining a rational. So I think I will go with it and see what I get.

I have also been trying to come up with a name for this setting. I want it to express the idea of the undead apocalypse without calling it undead apocalypse. The word abide sprung into my mind (yes from the book Earth Abides) and I really want to use it somehow. I came up with Abiding Sin: A game of post apocalyptic terror and will probably use that until I come up with something better.

Well that is all I have for now, I plan to post some stuff up about the different clans/factions in the world tomorrow or the next day. Until then take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment